Aug 11, 2011

Hassan Lawal is carrying a lump behind his left ear since childhood Need Help


• Hassan Lawal

A taxi driver in Jos, Plateau State Mr. Hassan Lawal, is carrying a lump behind his left ear since childhood. But has never bothered him. The lump never gave him any problem until three years ago when it began to increase in size.

Today, Lawal, 63, an indigene of Osogbo, Osun State, who has spent all his life in Jos, is going about with a cancerous growth almost a size of a baby’s head. He told Daily Sun that he has spent all his savings trying to get a cure without success and has now resigned to fate: “If this is what will kill me, I have accepted my fate.

There is nothing I have not done looking for financial assistance to get a cure. I have sold my taxi cab to get a cure and take care of my family. Even if I did not sell it, who will enter my taxi with my face looking like this?
“I grew up with a bean sized lump at the back of my ear. It never disturbed me until three years ago when it began to increase in size. You will think it was the death of my 20-year-old daughter then that ignited the growth.

Since I discovered that it was increasing in size, I have been visiting different hospitals and local herbal medicine men and in carrying out various tests. After going to about five hospitals I was directed to Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH), permanent site. At JUTH, I did about six different laboratory tests which are very expensive. I have also done x-ray twice. At the end I was told I will need about N85, 000 for the operation.

“I have exhausted my savings and have not been able to raise this amount. I have moved round the length and breadth of this town trying to seek help to get this growth on my face operated upon. I have gone to many religious organizations which I think could be of help but without success.

“Until recently it was not painful. But now it causes me a lot of discomfort because of the size. The weight pulls the muscle of my face which causes the pain. At JUTH, I was not given a single tablet. At least if one is sick, he needs to be given drug to minimize the pain. That was not done. I only take some pain relieving tablets anytime the pain is severe and it gives me some succor for some time.

“I do not eat egg or body building food just to control the growth but it does not seem to help. I am appealing to well spirited Nigerians to help me out of this predicament. It is sad to know I am dying by the day and that my wife and children watch helplessly as I drain away. I pray by the day that God will touch somebody to change my life for the better. My contact phone number is 07090821342. My record is there in JUTH.”


source


No comments: