Apr 26, 2012

Two housewives in police net over death of 11-year-old boy

Two housewives in Lagos State are presently telling the police the role they played in the untimely death of an 11-year-old boy from Akwa Ibom state. The housewives; Mrs. Comfort Peters, 50 and Victoria Nwaju 31 are presently being drilled by homicide detectives from State Criminal Investigations Department(SCID), Panti, Yaba, Lagos in connection with the death of Akaniyene Effiong, an indigene of Akwa Ibom State.
The boy was brought by Mrs Peter from Akwa Ibom to Lagos to assist her in domestic chores at her residence in Ajegunle, Lagos.
Sadly, around February 10 this year, he disappeared from home and was found stone cold dead in an undisclosed area in Lagos.

Mrs. Peter in her confessional statement to the police, lamented that she searched everywhere for the boy after he left her house only to discover with shock that one Mrs. Nwaju had been harboring him in the last two months, prior to his death.

She said: “On January 7, 2010, I brought the boy from my village to live with me. I later enrolled him at the Oremeje primary school at Ajegunle .
“On February 10, 2012, I returned home from a journey and discovered that Akaniyene was not at home but his school uniform was in the kitchen.
“My brother who was at home, told me he saw Akaniyene when he came back from school.We made frantic efforts to look for him and I went to the welfare homes at Ikotun and Alakara to look for him but we did not see him.”

On her part, Mrs. Nwaju confessed that she saw Effiong wandering at the Cemetery market at Ajegunle, Lagos and decided to take him into her custody.
“Sometimes last month, I cannot remember the date, I came to my stand (stall) at the cemetery market about 6.00am and I saw this boy sleeping under my table. I was scared, I thought it was a ghost but when I later saw it was a boy, I brought him out and as I was about to ask him some questions, he ran away.
“Some weeks later, I saw him playing in the market and I made efforts to call him but he ran away again.
“ On one market day, I saw people gathered and I went to see what was happening, that was when I discovered that it was the same boy who slept under my table. He had a big cut on his forehead, he sustained the wound while playing and blood was gushing out .

“I was moved with pity as I have a boy of his age at home. I told the people that gathered that I know him and I took him to my house. I bathe him, gave him food to eat and later took him to the hospital.”
Mrs. Nwaju said she took Akaniyene to the hospital where his wound was treated but three days later, the injury became more severe.

The doctor said the wound had been infected by tetanus and on April 7, after he was rushed to another hospital , the Tolu Medical Centre at Ajegunle, he gave up the ghost.
Checks by Nigerian Compass revealed that the case was initially reported at the Layeni Police Station, Ajegunle and police investigation led to the arrest of the two women.
However, the case had been transferred to SCID.

via compass


No comments: