Jul 23, 2012

I am still searching for my wife and 2 children, Jos flood victim cries


Jos – Mr Adam Ahmad, a victim of Sunday night flood that swept some houses in Gangare, Jos, on Monday said that he was still searching for his wife and two children.

Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), religious leaders and community elders, have confirmed that at least 16 persons were killed by the flood that hit Gangare, Dilimi and Ungwan-Rogo settlements, after the Rikkos river over flew its banks.

“I am not sure they (wife and children) are still alive; but I can only say that I am still searching for them,’’ a visibly shaken Ahmad said.

The  flood swept away many houses, with many persons still missing.

Ahmad said: “we were sleeping when we heard water rushing into the house and before we realised what was happening, the whole place became like a stream.


“I immediately rushed to where my children were sleeping but did not see them; the whole place was taken over by water with a high speed current sweeping all around me.

“I was confused and rushed to where my wife was, but before I could enter her room, the entire house collapsed.

“It is a miracle that I escaped because the water almost consumed me. It got to my neck before I rushed out of the building.

“The building is lying over there,’’ he said, pointing to the debris of what used to be his house.

Ahmad, who could not hold back tears, said that life was not worth living without his family.

Officials of NEMA have already established temporary camps to accommodate persons displaced by the disaster.

Mr Edward Maigida, NEMA’s Director, Relief and Rehabilitation, told NAN that the officials were already conducting a census of the displaced persons and also carrying out an on-the- spot assessment of the situation, preparatory to the agency’s intervention.

Maigida said that the number of death persons was still being computed, and promised to give an exact figure after the assessment.

At the temporary camps at College of Arabic and Islamic Studies, Rikkos and UBE Primary School, Gangere, Maigida told the displaced persons to be “patient and orderly’’ as NEMA would soon bring some relief materials. (NAN)


No comments: